Can Snoring Kill You?
Nowadays, people are paying attention to snoring, many of us are either involved directly or indirectly in snoring. Therefore, people tend to manage or deal with snoring or a partner that snores as depicted in the lovely image above.
The obvious truth about snoring is that many people are not aware they snore until someone tells them. Most times, people that snore won’t feel any changes during their sleep until their partner or friend inform them via elbows to the ribs, nudges, etc. Apart from disturbing your partner or friend, can snoring kill you?
How can snoring kill you?
Well, the possibility of dying directly from snoring is actually slim. To be more precise, snoring does not kill people on its own. Usually, snoring is actually a symptom of a severe medical condition that is recognized as Obstructive Sleep Apnea (OSA).
Obstructive Sleep Apnea
As I’ve written in a previous post, Obstructive Sleep Apnea (OSA) is a clinical condition that affects both men and women, but it affects men more than women. According to medical statistics, roughly twenty million Americans are affected by this serious medical condition that can lead to death. The symptoms of OSA include noisy snoring, periodical break in breathing, excessive daytime sleepiness, migraines, and shortness of breath. From these symptoms, Obstructive Sleep Apnea can lead to the development of heart attack or even stroke through overstressing of the cardiovascular system.
Can You Die From Snoring?
Well, I guess that’s up to your partner, isn’t it…Honestly, ordinary snoring is unlikely to cause death but Obstructive Sleep Apnea can lead to serious conditions that can lead to death. It is important to watch for other symptoms of OSA and consult your physician for management of this serious condition.
Have Deaths Been Caused By Snoring
There are many cases where snoring has led to the death of people, it explains another way of how snoring can kill you. Snoring is a state that can upset the people around the person snoring. The following are examples of cases where people were killed because of snoring:
- In 2010, it was reported that in China university; finally fed up with the nocturnal noises, grabbed a meat cleaver from the student cafeteria and went to town on his roommate because he was snoring loudly. Eventually, a death penalty was given to the student that killed his roommate.
- According to a report, two men were involved in a fist fight just because one of them was snoring. The fight later led to the death of one them that was snoring. It was reported that this event happened in 2008.
- Another case is that of a prisoner in a prison in Dublin. The prisoner deliberately knifed his cellmate till he kicked the bucket just because he was snoring loudly. The murderer was given a penalty of life imprisonment for taking the life of his cellmate. Unfortunately for him, he was serving a sentence for a petty offense of stealing from a family to buy heroin for himself. This incident happened in 2000.
- In South Carolina, a woman intentionally shot her husband of many years three times to make sure he is truly dead. This woman did that because her husband was disturbing with his noisy snoring.
- Another similar case happened in the United States, a lover of a married woman killed the husband of the woman when the husband traced the lover to the closet through his loud snoring. In this incident, the killer beat the husband of his lover to death.
Consequently, many people snore even though they may not be aware. It is important to identify Sleep Apnea and manage it. judiciously. It is possible to get killed because of snoring, it is a provoking and irritating condition for some people. So, in short, don’t be an A_Hole, if you snore, do something about it. Not just for you, but for everyone around.